Thursday 18 February 2010

Chic Mama has asked me to record my 5 most memorable moments of 2009. Because I am so flattered to be tagged by such a sweetie, and in spite of my appalling memory for anything that happened more than five minutes ago, I am going to do my best. In no particular order:

1. It is the very end of May and I am sitting in the my glorified shed amid the green sweetness of my early summer garden. It is Sunday and my son starts his CE exams in the morning. I am wretched with guilt and hopelessness because I feel I haven't done enough to help him. There is enormous pressure on him to pass and my helpless desperation overwhelms me. I am listening to The Killers, Everything is Going to be Alright and I'm having a lengthly and private weep. (He does pass and he is happy and everything is fine.)
2. Summer again, but August this time, in Sussex. My first born's graduation. Beautiful blonde in sweeping gown, all the misery of dissertations and finals behind her now. A grown woman with life rolling out ahead of her. Such pride.
3. November. O2 Arena with daughter number one, three and a friend. We are there for Muse. We are wildly excited but evening ruined by this low-life sitting next to me, trying to chat me up but getting progressively drunk, then aggressive at my rejection, before slurring relentless but incomprehensible apologies into my ear then a grand finale of spilling an entire pint of beer into my lap.
4. December. Picking up daughter number 2 from Heathrow as she returns from travels. Snow on the ground and bitterly cold. Daughter number 3 is with me, along with traveller's loyal boyfriend. We have coffee together while we wait. Suddenly, and the to bemusement of the other two I stand up 'we have to go now, she's coming now!' Just as we walk toward the arrival area, there she is. Flowing blonde hair, impossible tan, hareem pants, flip flops and the most beautiful tattoo on her foot. It is a divinely happy moment.
5. December 16th. The defining moment when I knew my relationship was over.

It is often said that women's emotional lives are dictated by the happiness of those we love. Definately true.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post...you describe it all so well. I was just thinking how envious I feel of your 'travelling' daughter. ;0) My number two son is not disappointed to not need to sit CE this summer now due to school change. Very stressful exams aren't they. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such contrasting moments. Highs and lows.

    I love the description of your daughter at the airport and your 'mama always knows' premonition:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chic - thank you so much. So you must be an academic year behind me in the horror that is raising boys. I imagine we'll be posting horror stories once we get toward GCSE's (I can't bear to think about it..)

    Lane - Mama SO knows! We do though, don't we. Mother's are tuned in on a very special frequency. Children beware!

    ReplyDelete